Saturday, October 17, 2009

Our Summer

After my initial panic that Callie and I would be abandoned for the summer and left to swelter in the sandpit with nothing to do and nobody to play with, I am pleased to report that we actually had a fantastic time here in Bahrain. Returning from Scotland after our trip in May filled me with dread as we weren't settled and the long, hot summer was looming before us. I just wanted to get on the next plane out, convinced it was going to be unbearable. So much for my pessimism! If anything the summer allowed Callie and I to really find our feet, work out which groups and places were best for us and, most importantly, cement friendships. I went from worrying about being lonely and miserable to not having enough days in the week in a heartbeat! I don't think I've had such an active social life since I was a teenager! First off, Callie and I did lots of swimming with Tara so I've now got a very happy and confident little water baby on my hands! The lessons have been wonderful and we're still swimming at the moment, although the water is getting a little chilly these days! When are they going to get that pool heater installed!?! Callie and I (mostly me!) can't cope with sub 30 temperatures! You'll never see us in the North Sea! We also found that a number of the play groups were still going on so headed to our favourite at Chaoss every week. Busy, busy, busy! I guess all the mums left on the island had the same idea! Oh well, it worked out well for us in the long run, allowing us to make new friends and set up numerous play dates throughout the summer. Callie even made some girl friends at last after being inundated with boyfriends since she was born! Finally, Callie discovered the merits of Magic Planet, the soft play area in Bahrain City Centre Mall. I first took her back in June when she had been walking for a couple of months but she was seriously unimpressed and wouldn't even go into the main section. She just burst into tears! Going back again at the beginning of August, I had my doubts she would be any different but nothing could have been further from the truth! She was in, up, through and down the slide before I had a chance to blink! She's also become a big fan of the cafe next door which fortunately serves mostly healthy organic options (plus a delicious selection of cakes and muffins for pudding!)
Here's us at said cafe, PQ, with our buddies Claudia and Amelia, Candice and Ava and Angela and Daniel! I have to admit to spending quite some time lunching and having coffee during the summer... for research purposes only you have to understand! Obviously, I need to have a comprehensive list ready for any visitors we might have during our stay in the Sandpit and am now confident Bahrain has some excellent options should any family and friends drop by!

No comments:

Post a Comment